Friday, September 17, 2010

Today is Jordan's Birthday!

Oh my goodness, my little sweetie is twelve years old! When did time speed up from those days in *my* childhood where the "sands of time" would often clog up in the timer?  Sheesh.  Jordan -- let's have the best time ever at your party this afternoon! Your birthday is *finally* here!!


It's interesting. After taking Jordan to school this morning, I was thinking about some of the things that were on Jordan's mind, heading into her birthday. The first that she shared with me over breakfast was that she hoped that those girls who did not receive invitations to her party would not be mad at her.  Looking into her worried eyes, I tried adjusting her thoughts to only positive & here and now things. I told her that this year we needed to keep her party a little bit smaller than her parties in the past. I also told her not to worry about things that hadn't yet happened - and to put her crystal ball away (to which she laughed). I mentioned, "Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?"  Luke 12:25  NIV.


Jordan gave me one of those, "yeah mommy, but you're not a kid" lines and she stood up from the kitchen table.  I chuckled knowing what she meant but said, "I'm sure God was speaking to children, too."  Lol!  Coming over to give me a hug, she then asked another "what if..." about her decision to have chocolate cupcakes.  "What if someone only likes vanilla?"  "Miss Jordan..."


So I got to wondering...can a person *still* be diagnosed with Aspergers even though the person is able to display this sort of consideration about someone else's feelings?  Or is it that Jordan appears to have empathy, but below the surface it has more to do with worrying about how *she'll* react to negative responses from peers? I'm not really understanding that part.


That said, just a few more hours and it's party time! 


Lord, we ask that You will make Your presence felt at Jordan's party today. Soften the hearts of her friends, Lord, and help them to see all the beauty and warmth in Jordan's heart. Father, hold and embrace her, and guide her to remember to use her best social skills to minimize her differences.  Jesus, we look to You for encouragement, for support, for wisdom and all things. Lord we know You made Jordan purposely, and we ask Your blessing and hugs as we continue to be the very best parents we can for this precious child of ours...and Yours.


In Your precious name,
Jordan's mom


 “Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart; I appointed you as a prophet to the nations.”  Jeremiah 1:5  NIV 



No comments:

Post a Comment